Thursday, September 25, 2008

Don’t be afraid: SOAP No. 3

Scripture: Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. -- Psalms 119:105

Observation: This is a verse that we’ve heard so many times, that we’ve sang so many times, that we know by heart, but I really got a different perspective on it at Bible study on Tuesday night.

Application: So many times I find myself trying to make my own path in the darkness for…well, straight-up stupid reasons. Why is it that I think that my ideas are better than God’s? I mean, really???

If things go according to plan, I will start a HUGE undertaking next year. I’m excited about the results – not so much the path to get me there, though. But…everything just seems to be falling into place, and my family and I have prayed so much about this. I feel that if it’s not supposed to happen, it won’t, but if it does…it’s just going to be hard.

But after it’s complete…Wow. It’s going to make everything so much easier.

My dad always says, “Nothing good ever came easy,” and I believe that. It might be a bit of hard work, but if it's in God's will, we can accomplish it. I have seen God open and close doors – and I’ve seen myself futilely try to bang down the doors God has closed. It’s just so much easier doing things His way, isn’t it? =)

This verse really popped out to me at Bible study. Even though I’ve heard it so many times, it took on a whole new meaning Tuesday. God will guide my path. If this is the path He has laid out for me, well, I better follow it!

It calms me a lot more when I think of the plan God has laid out for me and my family. He wants us to seek Him, to know Him. He has the best ideas; why not follow them?

And…if things don’t work out, then that’s okay, too. That just means He has something better planned – and that makes me excited!

Prayer: God, I pray that you help me reach my goals for my family. I pray that I will not get discouraged or be defeated. Thank you for providing such a wonderful companion for me in my sweet husband who is a continual encouragement. Also, I pray that I will not be afraid of a little hard work. I am a dedicated worker, and I want to do my very best with what’s to come. Help me accomplish that.

**NOTE: Thanks to all who prayed for my colleagues. Nothing so far has come of Paula's plan, and, in fact, I think she's given up on it. Thank God!!!****

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, I needed to read this today. :)

Brooke said...

i get frustrated when i don't have a plan to follow - my major problem? i want it to be MY plan.

MInTheGap said...

I like that it says that His Word is a light to our feet. We get His direction not for the years ahead, but to live day by day.

Most of us claim that we want to see what God has in store for us, where He wants us to go. Instead, He's showing us day by day. Instead of looking down at that, we look out in the distance, and then we stumble.

What a great reminder. Thanks!