A. Yes, this is a long post.
B. Yes, I know everyone did the Dozen and the WYAW YESTERDAY. So sue me.
1. Which physical trait do you now accept--maybe not love, but accept--and no longer feel extremely self-conscious about?
My nose. I HATED my nose growing up – to the point where I told myself, “When I grow up, I’ll just have a nose job.” Crazy stuff for a junior high/high school kid (I think), but I’ve come to accept it. Mainly because I’m a little anti-needles/surgery.
2. This week Meredith Baxter Birney, best known as the mom on the favorite 80s sitcom "Family Ties" came out of the closet, which led me to formulate this question: Who do you think is/was the best TV mom?
Someone else had this answer yesterday, but I think Claire Huxtable hits a home run.
3. Do you speak any foreign languages? Are there any you'd like to learn?
I took three years of Spanish, but, as my dad likes to point out, it really didn’t do me much good. I’d love to speak a foreign language, for the pure fact that I’d love for me and the kids (because they would be bi-lingual, too) to talk about surprises for Superman in front of him without him knowing what we were saying. HAHA!
4. Who is your personal hero?
That’s here and around me? Um…I don’t know. I’m highly disillusioned, and everyone in this world is going to fail you – but that’s okay. I’m going to fail others, too; we’re human. But we repent, ask forgiveness, and just try to do better next time.
5. What is one holiday food that you find extremely difficult to resist over- indulging in?
Pretty much anything chocolaty. I have a sweet tooth.
6. Tell me about a Christmas decoration that has special meaning or sentimental value.
Our tree ornaments. We try to buy an ornament from each place we visit, so it’s fun to put them on the tree and see where they came from. My mom started this tradition, and I’m continuing it!
7. How do you feel about snow?
We don’t see it much here in Louisiana. If we get half an inch, you’ll see people trying to make snowmen. NOT kidding.
8. On average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Not that I'm jealous of any number over three or anything.
I’m highly cranky without my sleep, so I try to get at least seven a night. More if possible.
9. Tell me about your first crush.
Oh, geez. I was never the girl who fawned over boys, and, when I did have a crush, I was usually embarrassed about it. I do remember crying my eyes out one night over a boy in seventh grade…*rolls eyes in disgust*
10. You're stuck in a room for 2 hours with only a chalkboard and chalk. What will you write/draw?
11. Do you dress for the current temp or for the day's forecast?
The day’s forecast. If I tried to dress for winter, I’d probably sweat to death here.
12. Favorite Christmas movie is?
Smiling’s my favorite.
WYAW (or Thursday): Of course, holiday themed
1. What was your favorite Christmas gift and why?
2. Do you find mistletoe annoying or funny?
3. Do you go caroling?
4. Do you wrap your gifts or bag them?
1. Two actual: one sweet and one girly. First one, a Bible, from my parents, in 2000. I still have it, even though it has my maiden name on it, and I love it. I have favorite passages marked and remember events in my life where certain Scriptures just spoke to me louder than before. Next, diamond earrings from my then fiancé. ;)
2. Funny, if Hubby’s around.
3. We used to have a Christmas Eve party every year at my parents’ house where we’d go caroling. It was lots of fun – even if it was cold!
4. Bag ‘em if I do anything at all, ha!! But this year I really am trying to do better, so many gifts actually got wrapped…even if I am a horrible wrapper.
Okay, bloggy buds, I have a serious dilemma on my hands as well. I start Christmas shopping in June (seriously), and this fall, I bought my mother-in-law a Bible. She just joined our church this summer, and I was so excited about the gift. I had it engraved with her name and everything.
So she comes over the other day and mentions that she wants a new Bible, and I’m just inwardly grinning. I mean, I was the cat who ate the canary. And then she says, “I really need a large print Bible. That’s why I don’t bring mine now – I can’t read it.”
My heart went from jubilation to desperation in about two seconds flat. The Bible is ENGRAVED. We are PO’!!! But now my good gift just went to a bad one. I’m thinking about just buying her a big magnifying glass to go with it. Any better ideas? Can engraving be removed…????