Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

This morning, I sent Misti, who I suspected would be up with her adorable baby or husband, and my mom, who I knew to be up getting ready for work, a picture of my would-be hairstyle for the day. It was a little out there, but as I am the professor with a Chihuahua calendar on her desk, I felt that a little out there actually suited my personality.

Here is the “surprising” hairdo.





I was actually more surprised by the good comments I received than the bad. My husband, who keeps me fairly grounded on my eclectic fashion, liked it. One of my male students asked if I could do my hair like this every day (to which I wonder if he was being sarcastic, but who knows?). A female student told me I looked “sexy.” But then, of course, there are the ones who just can’t keep their mouths shut.

This poor child. This poor, sweet child who cannot figure out what to say. Or not to say. She looked at me and asked, “So…is that how you meant for your hair to look today?”

The student next to her looked at her like, “Did you really just say that??” but I grinned. I have a pretty high self-esteem level thanks to supportive parents and friends and a husband who daily tells me I’m hot stuff. Call it pride, call it confidence, but I’ve got it. It’s probably why pride is a huge issue of mine. ;) And not because I don’t have it.

Anyway, so the girl starts turning red, and she said, “No, what I mean is, did you not have time to do your hair this morning? Or was that intentional?”

I can’t help it. I did laugh. Maybe it was how she worded it or how red she was turning in embarrassment, but it was just funny. Plus, though I do have a high self-esteem, I also know when to laugh at myself. Life is too serious in general to get ticked at little things.

“No, this was intentional,” I told her. “I did mean to have this hairstyle.”

She literally held her face behind a book before she finally decided to escape on the premise of getting a snack. She has yet to return.

So what do you think? A little too much or am I on target? I actually do like the hair, but I may not do it often to work, as it seemed to take too many people by surprise, ha! These students need to focus on my lecture and not so much on what I decided to wear my hair!

8 comments:

Mari said...

It's kind of hard to tell in a picture, but I think it looks a little old fashioned. Or I could say - you are too young and cute for that style!
I'll be interested in what others have to say!

Jana Davis said...

I LOVE it!! I wish mine were long enough to do in a similar way. It looks perfect on you!

sara said...

I just wish I had hair that I could change up like that...change is good!!!

I think it is hysterical what that student said and I would have laughed too!!!

misti said...

I think it's ele-mod (elegant modern!) so THERE! :) That poor student...hahaha you know she is losing sleep over her own awkwardness!

Unknown said...

Oh my word! I think it's precious!! I wish I could do that with mine.

Arun said...

Nice style. Great ! I liked it.

Brooke said...

i *love* it! :) totally couldn't pull it off myself but it looks hip & trendy (do we still say hip & trendy these days?)

thedomesticfringe said...

I really like it. I'm letting my hair grow long again so I can try some fun stuff with it. I'm incredibly boring when it comes to my hair - same old thing. I like that you took a chance. It really came out very sophisticated and yet fun, not stern like some buns.