Monday, September 27, 2010

Their first 5K

My sweet husband completed his first 5K on Saturday in 36:30. That's about 30 seconds better than my first 5K, and I am so proud of him for doing so well! He ran pretty much the entire time and even experienced his first "runner's high."

We started the race with Rindy and Dustin, and our motto was "every man for himself." We decided this when the gun fired, but neither Rindy nor I left our husbands. Hubby and I ran ahead, and I helped him dodge the crowd at the beginning of the race. The beginning is always the worst, because there's literally thousands of people struggling to start running. It was annoying because I KNOW it messed up our time, but you do what you have to do.

The race itself was one I've run twice before. The first time I ran it was last year's Race for the Cure (the one we did Saturday), and the second was Bark in the Park, which is exactly what it sounds like. There were actually two water stops, though, which surprised me. I've never participated in a 5k with two water stops.
Toward the end, I could see Husband was losing energy, so I started chanting, "Who dat! Who dat!" to motivate him. I don't think it really worked for him, but as "Black and Gold Superbowl" was playing on my iPod at the time, it's what I was interested in.

Then we saw the finish line. I slowed down to Husband's pace so we could finish together, and I felt like I could run another 5K, really. As I started musing over the 5K, next thing I knew, he BOLTED in front of me at break-neck speed.

He was trying to beat me.

I promise you, I couldn't have run faster if someone were chasing me. His legs are practically twice the length of mine, but I have endurance and a year's worth of running on my side. It was a struggle. He's naturally faster than me. But, at the last second, DESPITE WHAT HE CLAIMS, I beat him.


However, it really didn't matter, because those who were in charge of the event seriously lacked organization skills or something, because you literally had to wait at least four minutes BEFORE you crossed the finish line because it was so backed up. SERIOUSLY??!!!

In all, though, it was a great experience for all of us -- especially since we had, of course, IHop afterwards. It's a tradition, after all.


Brooke said...

all men are the same aren't they? despite me walking with jay during the mud run b/c he couldn't run up the hills, he still sprinted at the end and tried to beat me. *eye roll*

great job to you both!!

Rachelle said...

So fun to be able to do that together! Way to go!

Mari said...

Hooray for both of you!

David said...

That sounds like fun! I still haven't run a 5K, but it won't be long before I can start running again. I got a stress fracture the last time I tried it, so you can believe I'll start off slower this time! Enjoy that youth while you can!

the domestic fringe said...

Congrats to you and your hubby on your race! I have a great respect for runners.


misti said...

Yay!!! Congrats on the first joint-race =)

And um...are we going to have to start force feeding Kyle? He is going to blow away when the wind starts blowing this fall!

septembermom said...

How cool is it to run together!! Congratulations to you both :)