Wednesday, May 26, 2010

She say "no run"

I've been trying to train Superdog into becoming a running dog.



I mean, look at that face. She WANTS to run.

Yes, PETA, I realize she's a 5-lb Chihuahua. I also realize she's a 5-lb bundle of uncontrollable energy on most days.

Seemed like a good plan to me. Start it slow with a half a mile and work our way up to an eventual two miles.

She's walked three miles with my dad before. Yes, she was absolutely exhausted afterwards, but she LOVES it. She really does.

So why wouldn't I think this was a good idea?

I started taking her for walks. Short, maybe .4 of a mile walks in the neighborhood. It was in the heat of the day, though, and she really didn't enjoy them. No biggie, I thought. We'll start running at night.

Last night was our first night to run.

At first...oh, she was SO excited. She was R-U-N-N-I-N-G! She sprinted uphill around a curve, loving every moment of the maybe 30-second run.

Then you could just see it in her eyes....oh....we're NOT stopping...oh...

I jogged down one street in our neighborhood, and she absolutely REFUSED. She was no longer ahead of me but way behind me, as far behind as the leash could reach. And she did not have a happy face on.



"Come on, baby, you got this!" I coaxed.

She was having none of it. So I slowed down.

When I slowed down, she could not BELIEVE that we were not heading immediately back to the house. But we kept going. And she quickly went from tired to mad.

Wouldn't even look at me.

We made it back to the house after one more short, 30-second jog. I opened the door to the house, and she happily went inside.

She had walked/run about .4 of a mile.

Maybe she's not ready to be a running dog just yet...

8 comments:

Jill said...

So funny!

Kelly said...

haha! You need a labrador or something. No, you just need to love your little couch potato. Actually, she's MY kind of dog!

Anonymous said...

Ha,ha! I love this. Maybe we can intro her to Bailey one day and they can let out some of that awesome energy.

I am telling you. This dog never stops. The good news is, he is doing very well with the training. (Except when you want him to come inside or outside and there is food involved.)

Oh, wait. He refuses this command period.

Ginger

Brooke said...

you're such a mean mommy!! ;)

The Hat Chick said...

I can't believe you would torture that poor sweet dog that way ;)

I'm with the dog....running? That's for greyhounds. Where are the bonbons?

SusanD said...

ahahaha that's hysterical. I love her "mad" look. Clearly...she is not a happy gal. Maybe she needs more interval training. ahaha. Blessings, SusanD

Unknown said...

Come get the Mini-Beast -- she'll probably run with you better. Even Bear might do it for a while but she would be more like yours and stop on you.

septembermom said...

Too funny! Too bad they don't have cute running shoes for her!! LOL.