Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Foodista


I’m two pounds up this week from what I weighed last week. Ugh.

Granted, before everyone stones me, I understand that’s really not a lot, and it is very possibly attributed to water weight. But, ladies, I think we all know that when we see those numbers go up on the scale, we get irritated. And then we try to justify it. “Well, it’s later in the day, so that’s why the weight went up” or “I ate ridiculously poor last night, so that’s why.”

And when the numbers go down, we pat ourselves on the back, whether it’s deserved or not. “Look what I did!” we think excitedly. Or maybe this is just me. Is it just me?

As I told a friend last night, last week the cupcakes did me in. It’s not good for me to have such a close delicious bakery. With salted caramel cupcakes. Or s’more cupcakes. Seriously, how do I turn that down?

This week, however, it’s the leftover Snickers dip from the party. I don’t have the willpower to throw it, so I guess I should eat it as fast as possible! Right? That makes sense, right?

Sigh...

I’m trying to eat healthier. Tomorrow. I started reading “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” in hopes that learning a bit more about where our food comes from will encourage me to make wiser decisions. After I watched the documentary, “Food, Inc.,” I was a vegetarian for a month. And I still hate McDonald’s. Except for their fries. Those are delicious.

However, I have to tell you about my friend Jana, the writer of wholefoodista.com. Check out her page. She is such an amazing cook and one of the sweetest, most genuine people I’ve ever met. Every week at Bible study, she’s provided some snack that has been mouthwatering – and healthy! Grape skewers and fruit dip (which I made for Kyle’s party and used the leftovers to make smoothies this week) – delicious! I also made her salsa for Kyle’s party, and it was mistaken for Over the Border salsa.

My favorite of her recipes, though, has been this little gem. Seriously, you HAVE to try it. I was a little hesitant at first; I mean, who would normally mix sweet potatoes, salsa, and black beans? Okay, maybe you do, but I don’t. But it is now one of my favorite ways to make sweet potatoes.

And as I plan to eat fresh seafood for the next few days, maybe I can jumpstart my healthy eating and use her website and others to encourage me to eat better. Granted, one of the reasons I run is to eat bad (ice cream, greasy burgers, etc.), but I also enjoy a good run. And one of the ways to have a good run is to eat well.

Happy healthy eating! Check out Jana’s website and let me know of any healthy food sites you visit regularly!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

of course i would read this the day after i have 5 Guys for dinner and follow it with a cupcake.

Penny said...

LOL, don't worry I had Outback and ice cream last night. ;)

Mari said...

I'm going to check out your friends blog. One of my favorites is Gina's Skinny Recipes
http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Sorry about messing up your pretty post with a deletion - you know how I feel about publishing typos. I have two sweet potatoes sitting on my table just waiting for me to cook them. I don't actually like sweet potatoes, but I am going to make that recipe tomorrow night, for sure. Tonight, Chickfila is for dinner.

misti said...

I love foodie websites! Healthy and junk-foodie! Orangette is good...and skinny runner, peanut butter fingers...I've got lots in my reader.

Salted caramel!? We're definitely hitting that up when I come in town.

sara said...

I have lots of great fish recipes if you want them! I also love roasting veggies in the oven...so good. take whatever you have on hand: potato, sweet potato, carrots, califlower, pepper...whatever..toss them with olive oil, garlic salt (or just salt, or truffle salt!) and pepper. place on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 20-30 minutes. delish!