Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why we don't have cats (Don't read on a weak stomach)

(NOTE: Running time last night: First mile in 11:10 mins, shaved off 14 seconds. 5K -- 3.1 miles -- in 34:29. Shaved off more than a minute!! *Cough* Not that I'm timing myself or anything...)

So while my running buddy is living it up at Disney World this week, she asked if I could run by and feed her cats. I said that wasn't a problem; I've done it before, and I like her cats, even though I feel like one of them is plotting to overthrow the world. But that's another story.

Superman sweetly agreed to go with me yesterday, and we found both cats eager for human attention and for more food. I refilled their food and water bowls, and I told Superman to see if their litter box needed emptying.

Please note: Neither Superman nor I have ever taken care of indoor cats. We had one cat for about six months, but he lived outdoors...much to his chagrin...which is probably why he found another family that made him wear a purple collar...again, another post.

Turns out the kitty litter box was FULL. Superman gagged, mentioning something about his week stomach, and I rolled his eyes at this obvious melodrama. "I'll take it outside and dump it," I said, thinking this was a logical situation (Right?). But there was a problem. The box was too heavy for me to easily take it outside.

Superman saw the problem. "Grab one end, and I'll grab the other," he offered.

As the cats ate dinner, we took their bathroom outside and prepared for the dump. We both poured. And Superman gagged again...and dropped the box.

Thank goodness it was almost empty, but he ran over to the side of the yard and vomited on the grass.

Okay. I know this is mean. But I did laugh.

A lot.

And maybe cried from laughing so hard.

Poor thing!! We're still not 100% sure why he reacted in such a way (as our pup has left us MUCH WORSE "presents"), but I think I'll be handling the kitty litter box solo next time.

Or maybe he can just hold his breath. We'll see.

15 comments:

Kayla said...

Haha! This was great. Poor Superman, I can't believe a little littler box made him get sick, does he have a weak stomach all of the time? Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. :)

sara said...

omw, that is funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha!! I had a roommate once who never cleaned out her cat's box. She used scoop away, so she didn't think she needed to. Anyhoo, when she would go away, I would clean it out and disinfect it and everything because it was NASTY. I still want to gag thinking about it. And I'm a cat person. Plus, my little fluff ball of a puppy is never that disgusting. And I can take her outside!

Anonymous said...

Poor Superman.
-FringeGirl

Rachelle said...

Bahahahaha! Men! I have been collecting the boys poo for testing by the doc... long story... but I had to do 12 POO'S BETWEEN THE TWINS! YUCK!!!!! My hubby would start to gag just coming in the room! HA!

Sara@iSass said...

Wait wait WAIT. I seem to remember a post a while ago, something about how YOU are allergic to cats and HE can't eat Kit Kats. or was it the other way around?
I would advise him to stay out of the delivery room and /or off the discovery channel...
Poor kitties, they only want a clean box to poop in. Do WE really like using those nasty potty filled biffys? NO. It's the same for cats.
No, I've never much liked them...but I do have one.Cat not biffy. She is a working member of this family so I try to keep her happy. Moist food, clean box, let her sleep at the end of my bed. All that for her mice and mole services. Seems like a good trade.
Now, back to you and your catsitting, sorry, it isn't always pleasant taking care of somebody elses...ummmm, little darlings. Just think she'll owe you. BIG. maybe someday she will need to return the favor and finds a present sent "with love". ;)

Mari said...

I think you are in trouble when you have kids!

Lucy Marie said...

ha ha ha! Poor superman. Really, it can't be THAT bad, can it? I sure hope he doesn't have to deal with diapers anytime soon.

misti said...

Okay he DEFINITELY can't babysit Peyton, then! Hahaha! She's in a phase lately where she takes off her diaper on her own, runs to her potty, takes a #2 in it, then picks it up and brings it to whomever is closest.

For real.

Alex said...

OOOoooh dear! :) I have a weak stomach too, the smell just gets to me. Thats why I let my husby do the cat litter :):) Hehe, thanks for making my day!

Jill said...

Snicker. Kids will toughen him up. Unless the kitty litter is his kryptonite! : )

Unknown said...

Not so super, Superman. Funny though.

Growin' With It said...

reminds me of that American Funniest Home Videos montage where all the dads are barfing/gagging from trying to change baby diapers. pitiful. but then again i don't change the litter box 'round here!

Brooke said...

i'm not a cat fan. one of my dear friends said i'm on the bottom of her pet sitter list! :P

poor superman for tossing his cookies! :P