YEA!! It's time for What's Your Answer Wednesday -- the reason I get up on Wednesdays! And, just for kicks and giggles, it's a WORK edition!!!
Sorry. Too little sleep, too much coffee.
Okay, back to bizness.
1. What job did you absolutely HATE and why?
2. Who was the craziest co-worker you had to deal with? What made them "crazy"?
3. Have you ever experienced one defining moment with a job, when you realized, "Ah, yes, THIS is why I'm doing this"?
4. What do you do now?
1. While I didn't HATE working at the coffee shop in New Orleans, it definitely was the scariest job I had. First, I had to beat the stupid huge black "water bugs" (whateva, N.O., they are ROACHES) off my front door (seriously -- I would kick my apartment door from the inside to startle them) BEFORE dawn (I had to be there usually around 5 a.m.). I had to drive into New Orleans from Metairie (and then from Luling...I've told that story, right?) and hope that no one attacked me as I walked from my car to the coffee shop (my aunt sent me a LOVELY e-mail about r*pes and how, basically, I was a prime target). Then, once I got there, I had to deal with a few rude people (but revenge is best served in a coffee cup...That's all I'm sayin'.), a co-worker who stole my tips (I'll beat her black and blue), a knife-wielding co-worker (part of her job making sandwiches), and an owner who usually came in to show us pics of the North Korean "woman" (If she was a day older than 18, I'm 60) he was supporting and trying to get her to come over here to marry him. It was...ahem...interesting...but I did get free coffee. ;)
2. There are so many to choose from...seriously, I've talked to Rachel and Misti about this. I seem to attract the crazies (somewhere, Rindy is laughing because she has similar experiences...). BUT I'm going to go with C as the craziest, mainly because he drove ME insane. It's hard to deal with a co-worker who a) tells the major of the town that you (and the other girls in your workplace) are his "harem," refuses to do his work but complains when YOU don't do it for him (no joke, this actually happened), and then tells you that he's going to do some work...and goes and visits his wife at her work (verified evidence). Now, that part's crazy enough, right? But, honestly, he could be nice when he wanted to be. But...you never knew when that could be. I could go home from lunch when he was in a great mood and come back, and he'd be in the worst. mood. ever. So that's why C gets Craziest Co-worker Award.
But, yes, Rindy, L is right behind...It's hard not to say that she's a runner-up as she took personal photos of herself and her husband...with a work camera...and decided not to delete the evidence...
3. Yes, with my current job. I'll keep this brief because it's fairly personal. I had a student who was dealing with a lot of issues, and, because I was worried, I turned this student into the counseling services. It was a hard choice, because some people are offended by the idea that they need counseling, but this student needed help, and I couldn't help like a professional could. Afterwards, the student came to me and thanked me, saying that it had been a difficult time lately but the student was glad that I cared enough about all my students to make the call. That was really one of the most defining days of my career.
4. I work at a university. We're not really sure what my title is at this time (long story). I teach, and I write press releases.
Your turn!! And for more, WYAW fun, visit Linda!