Friday, July 15, 2011

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

All recipes (minus the soup, obviously) can be found by clicking here.

My sweet husband and I celebrated the end of a decade-long love with J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series by having a date night in the house. We borrowed "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" from a sweet friend, and I made a surprise dinner.

First, the least Harry Potter-esque entree: potato soup. I had trouble figuring out what would be a good main course for this surprise dinner, so I settled with potato soup as warm and yummy -- and had Kyle make it!


And now...for the magic!

Mrs. Weasley's rock cakes (as we all know Hagrid's would be too tough to eat...)



Kyle LOVED these, which was quite surprising, as they have raisins (I was unaware that he was a raisin fan) and they're really not sweet. Seriously. I put two tablespoons of Splenda in them, and that was the only sweet thing. They were pretty yummy. In fact, I decided to have two for breakfast with my coffee this morning!

Next...acid pops!


How do you make acid pops, you ask? Quite simply.


Dip a lollipop (or, in our case, a blow pop) in just a hint of honey (I read recipes where you dip them in water, but honey worked best for me, as it didn't activate the third ingredient) and then roll it gently around in pop rocks.

How stinking cool is this?? And three small bags of pop rocks (around $1.09 each at the university bookstore) covered more than 10 blow pops.


And then...the item I was most looking forward to...


BUTTERBEER!!!

We both, naturally, were stuffed. Seriously, I feel like I need to run a half-marathon to run off the calories simply from last night's meal. And tonight...the end is here. 

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?"


4 comments:

misti said...

I'm so sad to say bye to Harry! I'm jealous of everyone who hasn't read the books yet :)

That soup looks YUM!

Aleta said...

I haven't seen the newest one and I would love to this weekend, but it's not in the cards just yet. I will be sad to see it end too :( But LOVED the meal - what a fun idea!

Lauren | Beautifully Mint said...

I LOVE your HP tribute meal! Especially the butterbeer!! We honored the occasion by watching all the movies throughout the week.

Brooke said...

why are you holding out on the potato soup recipe??

i would make fun of you b/c i'm not a Potter-head, but we went this elaborate for our Lost finale party :P