I LOVE Southern food. I love Natchitoches meat pies, I love crawfish (the spicy kind that makes your nose run and your lips burn), I love jambayala, I love catfish, I love king cake, I love hush puppies -- I love it all!! There's a reason I was born and raised in the South, and it's all 'cause of the food!
However, while I am a born-and-raised Louisianian, I have never made gumbo. Shocking, isn't it? Luckily, amazing BFF and super-duper cook, Misti, was more than willing to help me remedy this problem.
So, ladies and gentlemen, Misti and I made gumbo last night.
Don't be taken aback by the potato salad (I actually stole the pic from Misti); I'm running by after work to grab some and try it with my leftover gumbo. Apparently, gumbo's excellent with rice OR potato salad. Keep that in mind.
And, as I've already mentioned my love for Southern food, I decided to mention a few other favs of Louisiana:
1. Mardi Gras -- I've actually never been to the New Orleans Mardi Gras festivities, but I do highly appreciate those two days off of work!
2. Swamp land -- Seriously, guys, it's gorgeous in South Louisiana. Browse some of Misti's photography. She knows how to take some great shots of our state.
3. Y'all -- Who says "you all" anyway?
4. New Orleans -- I can't get enough of that place. Not only do we have family and friends down there, but there's the New Orleans aquariaum, the zoo, and, of course, it was the place where Superman and I planned to live after marriage. So, yeah, there's some good memories there.
5. Steel Magnolias -- I actually lived in Natchitoches around the time this was being filmed. One of my classmates was in the wedding scene. Can't remember what he did during that scene, but I do remember that he was in it.
6. Parishes -- I like being different, and I like the fact that we have parishes instead of counties. And that we use a different legal system than everyone else. We should be our own country! ;)
7. Those French-Cajun words I can't pronounce because I took Spanish, but here are some I can pronounce with ease (haha!): Thibodeaux, Boudreaux, Ouachita, Lafourche, etc.
8. Sweet tea. Can't get that up north.
9. Johnny's Pizza. If you've never had it, you are missing the BEST PIZZA IN THE WORLD. I actually had a student from Missouri tell me yesterday that the reason she came to school in Louisiana was because of Johnny's Pizza.
10. Bobby Jinal (haha!). Even though he has cut the budget for higher ed. Boo.
What am I leaving out? And what do you love about your home state?