Friday, January 23, 2009

Silly excitement

I just got my student reviews back from the last class I taught. Basically, at the end of the class, my students got to fill out a form saying if I was a good teacher, if they learned anything, etc., and then had the option to write additional notes about/to me. Oh, and did I mention that the dean gets to see all of this? Yeah...

As this was my first attempt at teaching, I was more than a little nervous.

But...they were good! Don't get me wrong -- I am soooo not bragging here. I see my flaws as a teacher better than anyone else, and I'm desperately hoping next year I'm better and continue to get better each time (And I think the students were just being nice on their comments.). They wrote such sweet things that it really made my day. I had a LOT of comments, too, which really surprised me...and NONE of them were bad.

"You have been one of the most understanding professors I have ever had. Your patience and willingness to explain things (sometimes more than once) has been the biggest help to me this quarter."

"L. Lane ROCKS! I loved copy editing and hands-on experience. I want to take another one of your classes."

"Thank you! =)"

I mean...who's day WOULDN'T be made with that??

So what's making you happy on this Friday?

13 comments:

Rach@In His Hands said...

That would make MY day!! How great is that!?

Mari said...

Good for you! I think it was more than being nice. If they had a problem with you, they would have put it down.
Today I'm happy because I have the day off and am going for lunch with my sister, then getting a badly needed haircut!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

hmmm... what makes me happy? Well,.... I think they will replace my external hard drive!woo hoo!

Brooke said...

Congrats and happy Friday! :)

Brooke said...

ps - i'm happy this friday because my skinny friend gave me a sweater that is too small for her - and it fit me!! :)

Sara@iSass said...

WAY TO GO!!!
I've only had 2 teachers that inspired me this way...and yes, I told each of them how special they are!
So happy for you!

Lisa said...

Good for you! I always made it a point to leave honest comments on those evaluations. I never got the inside scoop that the profs cared one way or the other...now I know!

misti said...

You sound surprised...you shouldn't be though! These students are not idiots. You DO rock!

Anonymous said...

Awwww...that's so sweet of your students! Reviews can be horrifying...especially when you don't know what to expect. Congrats on the great feedback!

Jackie said...

Well, congrats! I want you to be MY professor now. ;) I know you are amazing, and it is so uplifting to hear such encouraging words, isn't it?

Michelle said...

yay! that would SO make my day too!!!

Carrie said...

Okay, here is my interpretation. Just the fact that you got alot of comments is great, but the type of comments you received means that you positively touched your students. I think that it is great that you see flaws in yourself and are willing to work on them, but I also think you are being hard on yourself - remember that you did not receive any negative comments!!! Enjoy it! You did an awesome job!!!

Sherry said...

Oh, wow! That just made your day! Congratulations, Prof! God is so good to send things like that our way to encourage us!