Friday, February 13, 2009

I wanted to stay in bed today

I'm not superstitious. Really, I'm not. But I don't like Friday the 13th. Bad things usually happen to me on Friday the 13th. Like, monumental, cataclysmic, life-changing things. A fender bender? That's a good Friday the 13th.

Naturally, I kinda wanted to stay in bed today. Pull the covers over my head and not move until midnight, Valentine's Day. But apparently my job does not view today as a necessary holiday. Dang.

So here I am, at work, sort of waiting for what seems to be the inevitable. I did spill my mocha twice today, but if that's the worst that happens, I'll be very thankful.

The last super-horrible Friday the 13th I had was about two years ago when I worked at the local paper. I was sitting down at my desk, writing a column about how I didn't believe in the superstition that Friday the 13th was unlucky, even though just a couple of years earlier, I had a fender bender and (on the same day) discovered I had a cheating boyfriend (not Superman, fyi). I threw caution to the wind, writing this column (on the morning of the 13th, mind you) of how this Friday the 13th was fine -- even though it hadn't happened yet.

Oh, the irony.

THAT was the worst Friday the 13th I've EVER had. I don't really want to go into details, but it definitely changed my views on a lot of things. I couldn't even let that column run; the day was that bad. I was a bit bitter, too, so by the time the column ran on the following Tuesday, it was how Friday the 13th wrecked my life. But, looking back on it, I can laugh at that situation (not the bad one, the column one). There I was during the morning of a Friday the 13th, writing a column about how silly it was to think that anything bad could happen on that day -- when, really, bad things can happen on any given day, Friday the 13th or not.

It does kinda make me giggle.

Today, I'm not saying I'm superstitious, but I'm not writing a column (or in this case, blog) about how today will be fabulous -- even though I think it will be. Superman is picking me up some red beans and rice (YUM!) for lunch, we have girls' night tonight at Olive Garden (double yum!), and all I have to do this afternoon is grade papers. But I'm not saying it's a good day.

I'll say that tomorrow.

Happy early Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

Mari said...

I'm working too and having a good day! Happy early valentines day!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

wow, I am home and still ANYTHING could happen! Jedd is home with me today! I have already seen blood... but that is just more drainage... oops.... I forget that others are way more easily grossed out than I now am.... ha! Have a Happy 13th! Could be the start of a whole new kind of 13th for ya!

FYI: my word verification for this comment (these give me great chuckles.,..these made up words...): upegles

Sounds like the name of a tiny pooch! Peggles!

Growin' With It said...

you poor thing. here's to breaking "tradition" today!!☺

Anonymous said...

You're a little odd, but that's why I love you so much and wish you lived closer! :)

Eat some OG for me, PLEASE!!!

Carol said...

I've never been a superstitious person. My mom definitely was though. It took her having 5 girls before she named me Carol after herself. She said that when she was born and was named Carol after her grandmother, her grandmother passed away. So she was sure if she named a child that name, her grandmother would die. So on girl #5, my dad finally got his way. And you know what? I am the one who looks most like her AND my great grandmother didn't die.

Wow that was a long comment. Hope you enjoyed it and I'm sure you have had a great Friday the 13th.

LuAnn said...

Hi- Just found your blog through Mari. It's great!! Thanks for your notes. Happy Valentine's Day!