Monday, July 27, 2009

Hurricane Party, Part IV of MM&M



We got married Sept. 3, 2005.

For those of you who aren’t in Louisiana, that was five days after Hurricane Katrina.

Five days after we were forced to evacuate from Metairie and Luling (where he and I were living, respectively). Five days after we had no clue of what to do, if we had any clothes other than one change (because we left a day before Katrina changed directions and had expected to come back down South on a Monday). Five days after we looked at each other blankly and wondered if we had a house, a car, jobs…any material possessions left at all.

I used to write on xanga, and it actually vividly details the days up to our wedding, with Superman actually posting on my blog every now and then, so I’m just going to pull pieces from that today.

Aug. 28 – Me posting
We are officially evacuees.
Tomorrow, we will likely be classified as victims of Hurricane Katrina.
Guess what our first daughter WON'T be named.

Aug. 30 – Superman posting
Five more days. Wow. I really don't know what to say, except that I have the pleasure of marrying my best friend.
Now, we're faced with some real life decisions that will determine where we are for the next couple of years. Do we come back to the town that we left? If our apartment is un"live"able, we are not going to look down there for a new place. There are things we can do up here that may even be better than what we already have in New Orleans.
Thank you, Lois, for going through this with me. I love you more than life itself, and that will never change. I know we'll make the right decision.
Thank you, friends, for listening to this and praying for us. We need clarity now more than ever.
May God bless ALL the victims and evacuees of Hurricane Katrina. You may have torn apart our home, but you just sewed up closer together than ever before.

Aug. 31 – Me posting
Wednesday. Thursday. Friday. Three more days.
I am extremely on edge right now -- not because of the wedding. The wedding is the least of my concerns. Is it okay for you to look at the wedding as a relief to all of your stress? Who does that?
It's so weird to lose all the material possessions you have. Even worse, to wait and know that the next day you won't have anything. It's very disturbing and can definitely eat at you.
I'm getting married in three days! I should be worried about programs and candles and flowers! Not a stupid hurricane!

Sept. 1 – Me posting
Two days to go. I am going to put this stupid hurricane thing away for the next two days. I am going to see myself as a help, not a victim of this tragedy. I wasn't a true victim. I'm not waiting to find out if my family is dead or alive. I'm not waiting by the side of the road, sick and begging for water
I don't feel like a victim. I feel thankful that God has provided more than I could ever, EVER ask for. I am so thankful. I am so blessed.
Two more days!!!! :) I'm getting married!!!

…comment from the Aug. 31 post…I stumbled upon your xanga site while thumbing through Jane Smith’s subscriptions in an attempt to find someone else...I had thought about writing a little something to you two for a few days and after returning to your site this morning and tearing up in compassion for you guys and because I was totally overwhelmed by your love for one another. I thought I would let you know there is some random girl in NY praying for you and totally inspired by your love for one another. My name is Sue, by the way...
God bless you two...I will not give you any advice, because it sounds like you already have the wisdom of God whispering in your ears. May the riches of heaven multiply in your lives as two become one and you overcome the world in Him who loves you.

Link up for more MM&M fun with Rachel!

13 comments:

sara said...

wow! I can't imagine all that going on at once! And what an amazing encouragement to get that comment!!

I am so enjoying reading your story!!

Lucy Marie said...

Wow! What a crazy way to start your marriage. It is so encouraging to see how much you looked to and trusted in God's strength during that time.

misti said...

I remember the rehearsal dinner - you guys both seemed like you hadn't slept in some time! So much going on back then...but hey, the blasted hurricane brought you to me! Haha

Mari said...

What a way to start you life together. I think it grounded you and helped you to know what is really important in life.
What a sweet comment.

Brooke said...

wow @ sue's comment.

so many people today are too focused on their wedding to think about the marriage...that obviously didn't happen with you guys!

(and at least this way he shouldn't ever forget your anniversary!)

Lauren said...

wow -- I am in awe! You have such a beautiful heart of gratitude! I am so thankfult hat God was with you through all of that. The hurricane was bad enough all alone - but to have it happen right before your wedding?? Crazy. I was married just one month before hurricane Katrina. I remember watching the devastation. My heart goes out to you. Thank you for sharing your story!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

wow! God is so good! and you grew so much through that....

Anonymous said...

*sigh* I love you guys SO MUCH. :)

Jill said...

I can't imagine going through that at all--much less going through it right before your wedding! Amazing!

septembermom said...

What a time to begin a marriage! Gratefully, you two are wonderfully matched and able to "weather" anything together:) You both exhibited great attitudes, faith and strength during that turbulent time. I enjoyed reading this post.

Anonymous said...

wow! what memories for you and your hubby to have to go throught such an event before your big day! amazing how God brought you thought it with such a thankful heart! at least you had each other and family....'things' that can't be replaced. sticking near one another through such a thing...that's how families are formed. : )

Summer Athena said...

man oh man. i remember this like it was yesterday. i have no idea how you did it. we got married march of 2006 at the elms mansion and i thought it was bad then down there.

i am so glad you started following me. another louisiana gal!

{amy} said...

Wow! How crazy to experience that right before your wedding. You had such an amazing attitude, though!