Monday, July 20, 2009

The Precious Gift, Part III of MM&M



Two months before we were scheduled to get hitched, it was time for the extended family to meet.

My parents had already met his parents, but they got a chance to meet his grandmother and aunt (both on his mom’s side) at a wedding shower hosted by my hometown church (the same one we were married in). His grandmother, Mimi, fell in love with my mom because she, like Mimi, is a teacher (Mimi taught many, many years before Alzheimer’s and other health issues caught up with her). Mimi was already showing signs of Alzheimer’s at this time, though we did not realize the condition yet.

Mom and Mimi sat at a nearby table as Superman and I opened wedding presents. As we were doing so, unbeknownst to me, Mimi was discussing…ah, patience, with Mom.

“You know,” Mimi said, “Superman and Lois have something much more precious to give each other than any of those gifts.”

Alarm bells began to go off in Mom’s head, alerting her that she was about to travel down a road that this ultra-conservative parent did not want to go. Mom kind of said, "Um hum," and tried to let it go. No chance.

Mimi leaned over and whispered, "Their virginity."

Mom didn't reply, and Mimi seemed to think Mom hadn't heard, because she repeated louder, "Their virginity!"

Mom nodded to let her know she had indeed heard, but obviously Mom's simple nod wasn't the response Mimi was looking for because THEN she said, "Because you know, Superman is one, too!"

Yes. That really happened.

When I told Superman and Mom was retelling the story, Superman said, "Well, if you had any questions, at least you know now!"

It's like I told Superman’s aunt: It just wouldn't have been the same shower without Mimi.

Link up for more MM&M fun with Rachel!

15 comments:

Brooke said...

oh.

my.

:-O

lmbo!!

sara said...

that is hilarious!! That would have put my very conservative and private mother under the table!!!

can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

I am ROLLING ON THE FLOOR laughing even though I've heard this before. It never gets old!!!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Just read all three parts to your story so far. :) Very fun! Love that Mimi...

Our pastor actually talked about our "patience" in our wedding ceremony. :) It was cool though. Every one knew it was our first kiss and all - kind of a novel thing in this day and age.

Looking forward to reading more.

SoonerAggieMom said...

Oh thank you for that funny post. I really needed a good laugh! Mimi sounds like she was a hoot!

Falling Around said...

Oh. My. Soul!

How hilariously embarrassing. Gotta love family. :-)

Mari said...

That is good! I think I would love Mimi!

septembermom said...

Funny story! I can imagine the blushes all around when the word "virginity" is dropped so casually in that conversation.

Lauren said...

I am laughing SO HARD right now! hahaha that is the most hilarious thing I have EVER heard! WOW -- my sister is getting married and we're having her shower next month ... I may share this story! :) wow - I just can't get over how FUNNY that is!

misti said...

LOL!!!! Gets better every time! Mimi reminds me of the grandma on Runaway Bride...when she tells everyone that Julia Roberts is not afraid of the wedding but of the wedding night (and the "one-eyed snake") HAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

That's great!

Jill said...

So funny! My husband's more "open" family shocked my ultra-conservative clan as well!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ha! Bet you were glad Mimi was so eager to share that very personal tidbit of info.

Jackie said...

No. Way. That is so hilarious! And my mom is a super-conservative person too, so I can imagine that she would have reacted just like that, and tried to steer the conversation away - to no avail!