Monday, July 13, 2009

That Rainy Day, Part II of MM&M

It’s incredible what dating your best friend can do. We knew everything about each other – the good, the bad, and the ugly. You know how, when you first start dating, you try to keep the crazy away? Well, Superman knew all the crazy that was me – and same goes for him.

We’d been dating about four months when he called me one day and said he had run into his ex (shock and surprise, as we went to the same college and attended BCM). Before I go any further, though, I want to say that what happened in the past is the past. I have no animosity for L by ANY means – she’s a sweet girl, and I wish her nothing but the best in life. But, she IS part of this story, and not all of the memories I have are fond.

L caught up with Superman that rainy day and wanted to talk with him. She and her boyfriend (whom she had left Superman for) had just broken up, and she wanted Superman back (I mean, who wouldn’t? He is Superman after all). I was INFURIATED. How dare she go behind my back and try to steal MY boyfriend? I’m a redhead, guys. When I get mad, I get M.A.D.

But Superman handled it so perfectly.

“I haven’t closed the book on us,” she told him.

“Well, I have,” he replied.

“What if God wants us to get back together?” she asked.

“God would have to physically slam the 10 Commandments over my head and physically tell me I was supposed to be with you – and I don’t think that He wants that,” Superman responded.

Yeah. That really happened. Superman may have taken the analogy a bit overboard, but I think she got the point.

Superman loved me.

He had purchased my engagement ring, and, before long, we started planning a September wedding.

But the families had to get together first.

Link up for more MM&M fun with Rachel!

13 comments:

septembermom said...

Superman did handle that well! The Ten Commandments remark was perfect. I think Superman may be able to get out of any uncomfortable or unwelcome situation. Keep him around:) I can imagine what you would have said to that potential boyfriend stealer! She's lucky that she only had to deal with Superman.

Anonymous said...

When I read the last line, I heard, "Dum dum DUM!!!" music in my head. :)

I still smile every time I hear Superman's response to L. Great!!!

misti said...

You left out one of the funniest parts (wasn't funny at the time)......

Brooke said...

^5 to superman!! :)

Mari said...

Yeah Superman! I love his response!

Kelly said...

So sweet! I'm glad he made such a wise decision - so that you didn't have to go get all kryptonite on him. ;-)

Lauren said...

AWESOME!! Go Superman! YEA!!!! I am so happy that you have such a strong loving man!:)

Kristen @ dancing in the margins said...

"But the families has to get together first."

Can I just tell you that sentence just made my life? Seriously. Oh the joining of two families.

It ain't easy.

Love this! : )

Diane said...

A storybook love story. My husband had to break it off with an ex too when he met me. When it's God, it's God!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Awwww, Superman ROCKS!!!!! As do you, my friend. :-)

Jackie said...

Yep, Superman pretty much rocks. That's the way to make his girl feel special, and loved, and that you were the only one for him! Love it.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Superman! That was great.

-FringeGirl

Falling Around said...

You go, Superman!