Thursday, July 30, 2009

MY reality dating TV show

I did not watch The Bachelorette. I have before, but I haven’t followed it (or The Bachelor) faithfully on any given season. I’ve seen episodes of random MTV dating shows (Date My Mom or something equally ridiculous), and I DID follow Momma’s Boys when it was on. However, I would like to produce my OWN reality dating show. See what you think…

1. As most reality dating TV shows go, there is one “winner” – the girl/guy fighting for the affections of 16 (or however many) individuals of the opposite sex. I, on the other hand, would like to take a page from Momma’s Boys – let’s have 8 girls and 8 guys and see who all pairs up. However, I don’t think there would be enough “drama” for network TV in my vision, so I’ll (unwillingly) concede to have one “winner” and 16 contestants.

2. How do we choose said contestants? TOTALLY at random. When people submit their names, just put ‘em all into a pot and draw until you get the right number. We're not looking for the gorgeous 26-year-old actress or the 22-year-old law student who, btw, happens to be a model. It's the luck of the draw in this game. Ta da!

3. Now that we have our contestants (and let’s go for one girl and 16 guys just for the sake of clarity), what are the rules? They’re pretty much typical Bachelorette rules with one twist: if one of the guys decides he does not like the girl, he has the option of leaving the show and going on a date with a surprise girl (Johnny, show them what’s behind Door Number 1!). This adds mystery and also does not let the girl-winner become spoiled, shallow, and unappreciative of the 16 guys vying for her attention.

4. Challenges!! No fun challenges here for the guys…
a) Daycare time – Let’s see how well you two last for an entire day with three two-year-olds…by yourself. NO help.
b) Working on a budget – Can you and she agree on how the budget needs to be handled…when she’s handling YOUR money?
c) SURPRISE! Your family dropped in unexpectedly!
d) How do you handle seeing her WITHOUT her make-up? Let’s keep those faces blank, gentlemen.

4. Moving on to the dating area – No fantasy dates here, guys! I have a variety of “real life” dates for you and the girl to go on, including…
a) Going to the movies and discovering your forgot your cash…hope she’s got some!
b) Running into your ex at dinner. Who, by the way, is SMOKING HOT.
c) A date with you and all of her girl friends. You may THINK this is good, but it’s not…because they’re sizing you up immediately.
d) We give you a Mercedes to drive her around in…oh, but did we tell you the gas gauge is broken?
e) Plan a romantic candlelight date. Everything is going perfect, and you’re moving in for the kiss…and your younger sibling knocks on the door, looking for some free food. Yeah, sure, I guess you can have some of our lobster bisque and chocolate truffles…

(Did I mention all of these dates and challenges are on hidden camera? Oh, yeah…)

5. We have the contestants, the rules, and the challenges…now how do people get voted off? Well, of course, the guy, after going through some of the challenges, does have the option of kicking himself off. But, if he goes through the challenges and the “fun” dates and STILL wants the girl…do we let her decide…or America?

You decide. =)

12 comments:

septembermom said...

Funny ideas! I like the date and challenges part. That would keep me laughing :) Random contestants would be a refreshing change. So are you ready to pitch your idea to the network execs? There are always on the look out for ANOTHER dating show!

Unknown said...

Well, I would watch it : ) My favorite reality show is the Real Housewives on Bravo. They are so un Real it cracks me up :)

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

love it! funny! and way better than the other shows!

StephieAnne said...

I'd tune in - very funny! I especially like the part that a guy who doesn't want to be part of the mix of guys vying for "her" - gets an alternative date...... =)

Anonymous said...

Ha... after all that, we must let her decide.

Anonymous said...

I'd totally watch your show.

David said...

Whenever I've seen one of those shows, I've always wondered why anyone would want to choose between a bunch of losers who were willing to demean themselves in that way. A real catch wouldn't be caught dead on one of those shows, neither as a "competitor" nor as a "prize."

Your versions do sound like good entertainment, though!

Brooke said...

i hate those shows - but yours sounds great! of course america should pick because in the history of the dating shows very few stay together, so its obvious the contests don't know what they need!

misti said...

You're a goob! Haha love it...

Growin' With It said...

your creativity inspires me! but my show would be more about food somehow than dating. much more interesting for my age! *cough, cuz i'm fat & happy* ☺ let us know if your idea goes to hollywood!!

SusanD said...

I totally love this idea. It's much better and more real that any of that other stuff they throw at you on "reality" shows. Whose reality is that anyway? Have you seen the new one where the contestants are groping around in the dark? No thank you very much. Seriously? Who would want to do that? You should so write up your idea and submit it. Blessings, SusanD

Jackie said...

Now, this sounds like something worth watching! Can you imagine? But, this is real life - totally unlike the other "reality" shows on tv now - staged within an inch of its life.